Safe environment for your child to learn and grow
To ensure the safety of our students, parents and visitors are required to sign-in at the information desk upon entering the school building. Badges identifying parents and visitors are available at the desk and must be worn at all times while on campus. Before leaving the Safety in the Center please turn in your badge and sign-out.
WHILE ON CAMPUS
The safety and security of our people and the communities in which we operate is critical. We must be vigilant, disciplined, and always looking out for one another. Each of us is a role model for others. Do not enter classrooms unless escorted by a member of staff or by prior arrangement.
If you have any concerns about a child’s behavior or treatment, please contact the main reception as quickly as possible. Report any accident, injury, illness, or unsafe condition immediately. Never assume that someone else has reported or will report a risk or concern. Stop work, your own or others, if you consider it unsafe. Speak up if you observe an unsafe or unhealthy working environment. Listen to others who speak up.
Safety Features on Campus
- iSC schools have a strict pick-up policy. All new individuals picking up, even those listed on the enrollment forms, are required to show ID regardless of relation.
- When in the care of our staff, all children are accompanied, supervised, and in line of sight at all times without exception.
- Most of our staff members are CPR and First Aid certified and receive a minimum of 24 hours continuing education classes yearly.
- All Bus Drivers have yearly driver safety training.
- First aid certified staff are present at every school event.
Fire Drill Procedure
At the sound of the fire alarm the following actions should be taken:
- Teacher should take their computer or grade/attendance sheet in hand.
- Teacher should lead students outside to the assigned gathering point using the assigned door. Students should not bring anything with them except any jacket or purse that they have with them. The room lights should be turned out and the door closed when the last student is out of the room. Students should walk in single file with no talking.
- Any student who is in the front office when the alarm sounds will remain in the office and proceed outside with the office personnel. Any student who is in the bathroom or hallway should immediately proceed outside and rejoin their class.
- When the class reaches its assigned gathering point, the teacher immediately takes attendance. If a student is missing, the teacher should notify the administration immediately so that the student can be located.
- Teachers and students stand quietly in line until word is given from the administration that it is safe to re-enter the building.
- In the event there is an obstacle blocking your escape route, go to the closest exit. Once outside the teacher should proceed to their assigned gathering point.
- In the event that the route to the assigned gathering point is blocked, immediately proceed to the alternate gathering point.
- In the event that an alarm sounds before, between or after class or during lunch, students and teachers should immediately exit the building and proceed to the gathering point using the closest door. Once there the students should gather with their grade level. If teachers are in the immediate vicinity of their room and are able to safely retrieve their computer or attendance sheet they should do so. Regardless of whether or not they have their computer or attendance sheet teachers(class sponsors) should take attendance to the best of their ability and inform the administration if they are missing a student.
- The designated staff members are assigned the following responsibilities during a fire emergency:
- The Assistant Principals and Athletic Director will check that the building is clear.
- The Administrative Assistant will check with teachers to be sure all are accounted for and then report to the Administrator.
Healthy, well-balanced food is crucial for each child’s development. This starts with a kitchen that meets health standards. Our kitchen and dining areas are regularly checked by government authorities to assure that all hygiene standards are met and hygiene procedures are followed.
All our lunches are prepared by our own chefs, who have worked in international hotels and are very experienced in Western, Korean, and Chinese cuisines. We purchase our food and beverage products from trusted vendors only, and each morning carefully select meat, vegetables and fruit.
Each day, our students can choose between Western, Korean, and Chinese food. They can of course also bring their own lunch and warm it up in one of our microwaves. All students eat their lunch in our clean and spacious cafeteria.
Off Campus Events
A Safety Plan is developed for each off campus event and a copy should be maintained in the school office.
The plan includes:
- list of students on the trip, with current emergency phone numbers
- permission to travel forms signed by parent / guardian
- medical information pertaining to trip participants who require specific medical assistance
- list of teachers and chaperones, with contact information
- trip itinerary
- carrier information, if applicable
- For overnight and out of city event, a calling tree should be included with the safety plan.
- To the extent possible, teachers and chaperones are encouraged to have access to cellular phones while on the off campus events
Air Quality Index
Air quality and the effects of heavily polluted air on children’s health is a serious concern. For that reason, ISC schools’ indoor facilities (classrooms, hallways and areas for indoor sport and play) are closed from outside air and constantly provided with filtered air though our Centralized Air Filtration System. This allows us to continue with classes and sports, even on heavily polluted days. We check the air pollution rate several times each day.
For our outdoor facilities, ISC schools monitor pollution levels on a daily basis. A policy is in place to adjust activities in an attempt to safeguard the health and wellness of our students.
This policy applies to outdoor sports as well as outdoor playtime. A summary of our AQI (Air Quality Index) policy:
Teachers will immediately pull a student from an activity if he/she shows signs of abnormal respiratory distress, and notify the school nurse for further monitoring.
Walk to the nearest stairwell and exit the building. Do not use elevators. Proceed to the track area behind the school. Do not re-enter the building until you are told it is safe to do so.
In case of an emergency requiring a lock-down, locate yourself in a room, and lock the door. Go to an area of the room that is away from the door and away from the windows. Stay until an announcement is made.