The school considers the following as essential for admission:
- All student must possess a foreign (non-Chinese) passport. Per Chinese law, YHIS cannot admit children who are citizens of Mainland China.
- Demonstrate age-appropriate adequacy and educational skills as determined by an interview, examination, and/or educational records.
- A medical exam must be completed for all new students.
- All forms and paperwork must be completed. Note: All documents must be in or translated into English.
- Tuition Down Payment must be paid before students are placed on the class roster.
- Meet with the teacher and/or principal.
- Complete online re-enrollment.
- Medical examination signed by a doctor for students entering 1th, 6th, and 9th grade.
- Pay all re-enrollment fees by the date specified on the re-enrollment page.
Enrollment is based on a first-come basis, but in the event of close submissions, priority is given to:
- Children of LDi staff and associates
- Eligible siblings of students already attending
- Students with higher levels of English abilities
If a student has passed the necessary admission requirements, but there is no space available, he/she may be placed in a waiting pool. Students will be added to this pool according to the enrollment priority listed below. This waiting pool is dissolved at the end of the school year and parents need to re-apply if they wish to be considered for enrollment for the following school year. We encourage parents to look for other educational options while their child is in the waiting pool.
The school does not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnic origin or gender in its admissions or in any school programs.
POLICIES & PROCEDURES
Step 1: Complete Online Application:
Start online application by clicking APPLY
Step 1 connects you with our professional international admissions staff who will guide you through Steps 2 and 3 and all the way to enrollment.
Step 2: Submit Pre-Admission Documents
- Most recent 2 years of school records in English
- Copy of student’s passport
- Copy of father’s passport
- Copy of mother’s passport
Following receipt of these documents, our professional admission staff will contact you with options for grade placement and an offer of admission which will lead you to Step 3.
Step 3: Preparation for Enrollment
- Confirm grade placement for your student(s) and accept the admission offer
- Pay your ‘Hold the Spot’ fee to be sure you save your seat and don’t miss out!
- Complete Stuent Medical Examination Form (required by the Chinese Government)
Student Medical Examination Form
- Immunization record
- Notify of transportation needs
Step 4: Become a YHIS student!
Once you arrive in Yantai, you will set a date to visit YHIS to officially enroll and complete educational assessment and interview.
Educational Assessments are used to determine additional services needed, for placement assistance and/or for use by the teacher in the classroom setting. YHIS does not use academic testing scores or interviews to screen for admission.
Two assessments options are:
Evaluation for English Language Support (ELS) Services.Non-native English speakers entering Kindergarten-12th grade will be given an assessment to determine English language proficiency in the areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Academic assessment of content knowledge
All students entering 3rd-12th grade will be given an academic assessment before their first week of school if the teacher requests.
YHIS will place students in the same grade as their developmental peers based on each student’s passport age. (Additional assessment might be used as needed) See below for grade placement guidelines:
ECC and Elementary Grade (Passport Age by September 30th)
Secondary Grade Placement (Passport Age by September 30th)
YHIS is not able to meet the needs of students with severe learning disabilities. Parents should inform the school if their child has a known learning disability. YHIS will make every effort to meet the needs of each child it admits.
YHIS does not offer boarding or home-stay facilities for students.
We believe that parents are ultimately responsible for the education of their children. Cooperation between the school and the home is necessary to ensure that students reach their fullest potential. As a result, and in the best interests of the student, YHIS has established the following guidelines concerning residency of parents:
- At least one parent or guardian must have full-time residency in Yantai or a nearby community.
- Guardians are only permitted to function in lieu of parents in unusual circumstances with the permission of the school administration.
- If both parents of a Grade 9-12 student must leave Yantai during the school year but would prefer to leave their child(ren) in the school until the end of the semester, an appropriate guardian must be appointed and school approval must be obtained as soon as possible.
- An ayi does not constitute an appropriate guardian for a child.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition will be determined annually and assessed at the time of registration. It is payable in accordance with a pre-approved payment plan. Late fees will be assessed where appropriate. In addition to tuition fees, students also have a daily lunch fee depending on the meal option they choose.
All tuition and fees are based on the RMB amount. In the event of a change in the exchange rate, all unpaid tuition and fees that are paid in USD must be paid at the adjusted rate. The RMB fees are fixed for the school year.
Tuition Payments and Refund Policy
Parents are responsible for the payment of all school fees.
- Report cards, diplomas, and transcripts will not be released if there are outstanding payments.
- Tuition refunds for students that withdraw will only be given for full quarters not attended. Once a student has started a quarter, regardless of the number of days attended, the full tuition for that quarter will be charged.
- Tuition and fees are non-transferable to another student.
- No portion of tuition shall be refunded for a student dismissed by expulsion or for disciplinary reasons.
- Company paid tuition will only be refunded to the company, not to the parent.
- *In light of the COVID-19 situation, the Tuition Down Payment is refundable for students who are unable to return to Yantai or other reasons related to COVID-19.
Tuition fee payments are due to the school in a timely manner after receipt of a school invoice. Payments more than five days past the due date are subject to a late fee. If payments are made more than 30 days past the due date, students may be excluded from classes until payment is made.
WE WELCOME YOU TO VISIT
COME SEE WHAT ALL THE TALK IS ABOUT.
There’s no better way to get a sense of what it’s like to be a part of the community than experiencing it first hand. Your visit to will include a Guided Campus Tour and an Admission Information Session led by an admissions staff member.
At all of our events, we talk about the full community. This helps set the stage for where you might find your fit globally, academically, and personally. We want you to leave campus with an understanding of the distinctive educational experience that offers. Your ability to visit campus and learn more about the admissions process is sure to make a difference in your academic search.
CHECK IN AT THE GATE
In the interest of school security, visitors are required to check in with our school guards and our receptionist. You will receive a visitor’s badge from our receptionist to be worn while on school property.